Rightful Claims
Reuniting people & their assets

What are ‘certified’ documents?

Certified Documents: are clear copies (generally photocopies) of original documents that have been noted as an authentic – but this can only be done by approved people.

Members of certain professions can certify your documents by writing on the copy, that I certify this document is a true copy of the original. The copy must be signed and dated by the person certifying it, and include their authority to do so (eg. Justice of the Peace, Pharmacist, etc)

Note: Some custodians will not accept copies of documents that have been certified by family members, even if that person falls within the category of an authorised witness shown below. Please check with Rightful Claims if a family member intends to certify a document or witness a Statutory Declaration.

Who can witness a Statutory Declaration and certify documents?

A statutory declaration (under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959 as amended) may be made before, and witnessed by:

Members of certain professions: 

    • Chiropractor
    • Dentist
    • Legal Practitioner
    • Medical Practitioner
    • Nurse
    • Pharmacist
    • Pharmacist
    • Veterinary Surgeon

Other persons:

  • Justice of the Peace
  • Judge of a Court
  • Bailiff
  • Magistrate
  • Police Officer
  • Sheriff or Sheriff’s officer
  • Agent of the Australian Postal Corporation who is in charge of an office supplying postal services to the public
  • Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer (within the meaning of the Consular Fees Act 2985)
  • Bank Officer with 5 or more continuous service
  • Commissioner for Affidavits or Commissioner for Declarations
  • Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants or the National Institute of Accountants
  • Member of:
    • the Parliament of the Commonwealth; or
    • the Parliament of a State; or
    • a Territory Legislature; or
    • a Local Government authority of a State or territory
  • Permanent employee of:
    • the Commonwealth or of a Commonwealth authority; or
    • a State or Territory or of a State or Territory authority; or
    • a Local authority;
    • with 5 or more years of continuous service who is not specified in another item in this Part
  • Person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the law of the State or Territory in which the declaration is made
  • Teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution

Overseas Applications: Claimants in countries other than Australia should complete the Statutory Declaration and have it witnessed by a person who falls within categories equivalent to those listed above.

Email: help@rightfulclaims.com

1800 077 973  (Within Australia)
+61 2 4868 6888  (Outside Australia)

1800 077 517  (Within Australia)
+61 2 48621776  (Outside Australia)

Office address:
Rightful Claims
18 Bundaroo Street
Bowral NSW 2576

Postal address:
Rightful Claims
PO Box 2275
Bowral NSW 2576

A division of WORTHINGTON CLARK PTY LTD A.B.N 57 002 216 953

Post: PO Box 2275 Bowral NSW 2576 Australia
Office: 18 Bundaroo Street, Bowral NSW 2576
Office: Unit 1/281 Pacific Highway, North Sydney NSW 2060

Freecall: 1800 077 973

Tel: +61 2 4868 6888